Pre-1880’s First Nations people used the three hot springs located on Sulphur Creek, a trubutaty of Fiddle River. In the 1800s, they introduced European traders and explorers to the hot springs.
1882 Canadian Pacific Railway workers discovered the Cave and Basin Hot Springs, at the foot of Sulphur Mountain. The discovery captured the attention of the nation and led to the creation of Banff National Park.
1884 Europeans visited the Upper Hot Springs for the first time.
1885 Creation of Canada's first National Park, Banff National Park, established in large part to protect the Hot Springs because of its importance to Canada and its people.
1886 Construction of the first log shack and the Grand View Villa and bathhouse, later known as the Grand View Hotel.
1901 Grand View Villa was destroyed by fire and rebuilt.
1904 Construction of the first government facility at the Upper Hot Springs, on the site of today's Rimrock Resort. The facility offered two cement plunge basins, several bath tubs and a 7.2 m x 7.2 m swimming basin.
1915 The Upper Hot Springs road opened to motorists.
1931 The Grand View Villa burned again. The federal government acquired the lease for the property and began work on the Upper Hot Springs bathhouse, as part of the umemployment releif projects. The Banff Upper Hot Springs bathhouse is a Protected Hertiage Building, declared by the Government of Canada.
1932 On July 1, the Upper Hot Springs bathhouse opened, complete with sulfur water swimming pool, plunge baths, steam rooms, tubs, showers and dressing rooms. It’s splendour rivaled the famous spas of Europe.
1961 The pool was reconstructed and the interior of the bathhouse modified.
1995 Restoration of the bathhouse to its 1932 appearance occured. The restored bathhouse opened in August 1996 with a new spa, restaurant and gift shop, as added services.
2001 Pleiades Massage and Spa expanded space within the bathhouse and now offers a greater range of services to visitors